When it comes to gaming consoles, the Xbox often comes out on top and it is one of the most used gaming platforms in the world.
Gaming experiences can often be elevated with supplemental accessories, often headsets to enhance the audio experience. However, people across the world often ask if you can use your own headphones.
So, can you use regular headphones on Xbox one?
Yes, you can use regular headphones on Xbox one if you have a recent version of the Xbox One controller with 3.5mm jack. You can look for this jack on the bottom side of the controller and simply plug in your headphones through it. In the case of wireless headphones, you can still use them with Xbox One without any issues.
VIDEO: What Headphones can you use with the Xbox One?
Here is a short video on the types of headphones you can use with Xbox One.
How to Connect Headphones to Xbox one?
Let’s first look at solutions to deploy in case you are using wired headphones. After that, we have listed all steps to make your wireless headphones like Bose QuietComfort Earbuds work on Xbox One as well.
1. Connecting wired headphones to Xbox One
All wired headphones will come with a 3.5mm jack attached to them and there are two ways to connect this to the Xbox One. However, if you are using the first generation Xbox One controller, then this is no headphone jack in it. In that case, you will have to use the second method listed below.
Also, you might face the issue of only one earbud working, for that check out our detailed solution.
a. Directly to the controller
What Is Mic Monitoring And How To Use It for Gaming? (Comprehensive Guide)
First, switch off your Xbox One. To directly attach your headphones to the controller, insert the headphone jack into the headphone jack on the controller. After this switch on your Xbox One and navigate to the Settings menu. Click on Device and Accessories.
b. Connecting via an adaptor
To use an adaptor with your headphones, place it in the expansion port of the controller. Now the stereo headphones need to be connected to the 3.5mm jack of the adaptor. Start the Xbox One device and navigate to the Setting Menu.
Go to the Device and Accessories option and select the right option. Also, for more help, you might even check our guide on Skullcandy crusher wireless pairing
Microsoft did have its own adaptor but it has been discontinued now. When you buy an adaptor, it needs to be a stereo adaptor. These are commonly found online and will connect to the bottom of the Xbox One controller.
If your headphones don’t have a volume control feature, then you should get an adaptor that has the volume buttons on them. In case you are wondering why is one of my airpods not working, it could be because of low volume in iOS.
2. Connecting Bluetooth headphones to Xbox One
While most devices in the world come with Bluetooth, the Xbox doesn’t. Microsoft decided to use an in-house wireless protocol called the Xbox Wireless and this allows you to connect your headphones to the box without any cables.
However, to use your wireless headphone with Xbox One it needs to be compatible with it.
If you have such headphones, follow these steps to connect them to the Xbox controller.
- Switch on your headphones
- Now, turn on the Xbox One controller
- Locate the pairing button on the controller. This should be on the left side of the lower right portion on some models
- Press the pairing button to enable connectivity, till the LED blinks
- If your headphones come with a pairing button, press and hold it till the LED light blinks rapidly
- Once the connection has been established, the LED’s on the controller and the headphones will become stable and you will get a headphone assigned message on the controller
- If the devices have been paired properly, you will hear the audio properly
Now, what if the headphones you are using are not compatible with the Xbox one? Don’t be disheartened as there are some tricks you can use to connect them too!
a. PC Connection
To work this method, you will have to first connect your Xbox One to a Windows PC. Now the PC becomes the end-user device and you can connect your headphones to the PC to get the audio working.
However, for this solution to work your Xbox One and the Windows PC need to be connected to the same network and you need to use the Xbox console companion app.
- Download the app and sign in to your Microsoft account
- Enable the app on your PC and connect to the Xbox One
- On the app, there is an Add a device option in the top left corner. Click on it and Windows will search for the Xbox. Once detected, it will connect
- After connecting, you can control the Xbox functions from your computer
b. TV Connection
This is similar to the PC trick but instead of a computer, you use a TV. The Xbox One HDMI cable needs to be connected to your TV.
Once done, use your TV remote to select the video source as the HDMI source you connected to the Xbox. Now connect your Bluetooth headphones to the TV and you should get the audio working.
c. Xbox App
If you still haven’t managed to get your headphones working with the Xbox One, then this could probably help.
- Pair your headphones with your mobile phone or tablet
- Download and install the Xbox app and log into it
- In the app, click on Parties and then Start a Party
- Select Party Controls and click on Change Audio Device
- Now select Bluetooth device and apply the changes
d. Bluetooth transmitters
A Bluetooth transmitter can act as a bridge between your headphones and the Xbox controller. These are good to use when your headphones are not compatible with the Xbox One.
You can purchase a compatible transmitter online and follow the next steps similar to mpow headphones pairing.
- Switch on the Bluetooth transmitter
- Now, plug the transmitter into the 3.5mm audio slot of the Xbox controller
- Switch on your headphones and put them into pairing mode
- Press the pairing button on your Bluetooth transmitter for about 5 seconds and once connected it should show a steady LED
- After it is connected, you should be able to receive audio on your headphones
3. Updating the Controller
Sometimes even if you have compatible headphones, they don’t seem to work on the Xbox One. Now before you start shopping online for other headsets, check if your Xbox controller software is updated or not. Follow these steps to check
- On the Xbox One, click on Settings and then Devices & Accessories
- If you see any update that is pending, make sure you install it
- Once done, check if your headphones are working or not
4. Controller Settings
Incorrect controller settings can cause audio issues. To confirm if all the sounds settings are in place or not
- Click on the Settings option on the Xbox
- Select Devices and Accessories
- Check all the volume settings along with the chat mixer
- If anything is out of place, correct it and then test the audio on your headphones
5. Using iPhone headsets with the Xbox Controller
Even though the Apple Earbuds are a recent technology, they still might face connectivity issues with the Xbox One. If you have the Apple Earbuds, follow the below steps
- Go to the Settings menu on the Xbox One
- Click on Devices and Accessories
- There should be a headset Mic option there. Disable it
- Now find the Mic monitoring settings and disable them too. Else, lower the to the minimum possible level
- Connect your earbuds to the Xbox One console and they should work properly
Hopefully, by now you have found the solution to get your headphones working with the Xbox One console. If you still haven’t managed to do so, then you might need professional help. Contact Microsoft tech support to see how you can get your headphones working with the Xbox One.
Conclusion: Use Regular Headphones On Xbox One
If you are able to use your existing headphones with the Xbox One console, then you don’t have to go through the hassle of buying new ones. You don’t have to necessarily invest in Microsoft’s own headsets or ones that are compatible with the Xbox One.
Technologies keep changing and you can always keep buying new gadgets to work with different devices. Adaptors, Bluetooth transmitters, and many more such devices often bridge the technology gap between your headphones and the Xbox One device.
They help you use your existing hardware without investing in new ones. However, if you have incompatible headphones, check the cost of the adaptor/transmitter vs. the cost of new compatible headphones.
It doesn’t make sense to spend the same amount of money getting an adaptor if you could have invested it in getting a new headphone. So, do your research online and make a calculated decision.
Because, if you get an adaptor/transmitter, and then decide to upgrade your headphones, you will have an extra piece of hardware you no longer need. Whenever you face issues with connecting your existing headphones with the Xbox One console, you can use this guide to sort out your problems.
Save money, and save time by deploying these easy-to-follow tricks and you should get your headphones working in absolutely no time! Also, before you go, you might want to check this headset splitter for PC, and our guide on how to fix earphones on one side is quieter!
FAQs On Using Regular Headphones On Xbox One
Can You Use Regular Headphones On Xbox One? (Quick Answer)
As long as you’re using the most recent versions of the Xbox One controller, this part is extremely simple. These have a 3.5mm headset jack on the bottom, so all you have to do to use them is plug the headphones into the controller.
Do standard earphones work with an Xbox controller?
The most recent Xbox One controllers include a 3.5mm headset jack at the bottom. What exactly is this? So, instead of spending money on a gaming headset, your old faithful headphones will suffice.
How do you connect regular headphones to Xbox One?
You can connect the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to your controller by plugging it into the rectangular expansion port on the bottom of your controller, regardless of the type of Xbox controller you have. The stereo headset adapter can then be connected to a compatible 3.5mm audio jack.
To put it simply, electrostatic headphones convert audio signals to sound waves, converting electrical energy into mechanical wave energy. The actual operation of the electrostatic headphones...
A home theater system is the focal point of any modern living room. When it comes to watching your favorite content these days, high-definition television reigns supreme. However,...