Have you ever watched a movie at home only to discover that it does not provide the same viewing experience as going to the movies? One of the most noticeable differences is the lack of high-quality, surround sound audio from your home television.
Fortunately, installing a home theater system in your living room to provide the same impressive viewing experience, whether you’re watching television, sitting down for a feature-length movie, or playing video games, is simple. Best of all, a home theater system doesn’t have to be expensive; in this article, we’ll show you how to find the best home theater system choice under $500.
And, if you would like to, not only the home theater system: we can help you fit up the whole entertainment zone starting from ping pong table and ending with treadmill, which would fit perfectly next to your home theater system.
The four best home theater systems under $500 that you should buy are the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System, Set of Six, Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System, and Samsung HW-Q70T. These systems offer great sound quality for their price range.
The 8 Best Home Stereo Systems To Purchase (Detailed Review)
TOP 4 HOME THEATER SYSTEMS UNDER $500 REVIEW
1. Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System, Set of Six
- The Klipsch reference theater pack delivers a superior acoustic performance while keeping an incredibly minimal footprint
- Klipsch's exclusive Tractrix Horn technology and aluminum Tweeters deliver the cleanest, most natural sound possible. The down-firing wireless subwoofer is designed to deliver room-filling low frequencies without requiring too much floor space
- To complement the easy placement of the wireless subwoofer, each satellite speaker has a keyhole mount and a threaded insert for maximum mounting flexibility
- The reference theater pack brings the Klipsch cinematic sound into your home with an incredibly minimal footprint
This Energy home theater system is well under $500, making it a great value and one of the best starter polk audio systems choice for you to add to your living room for a theater experience. The speaker system is a 5.1 system with 200 watts channeled through the five surround speakers and an additional 200 watts channeled through the subwoofer.
Please keep in mind that the speaker system does not include a receiver set, so you will need to purchase one separately if you want to use the speakers with your television or other devices.
Users were pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of these low-cost speakers, noting that they provided relatively tight bass control that worked well for both music and movies. The aluminum dome inside the speakers, on the other hand, requires a 50-hour break-in period, so expect an overly bright sound that will gradually warm up and become richer as you use the speakers.
- Type: 5.1 channel system
- Power Handling: 200 watts
- Speakers: 2-way energy satellite speakers
- Subwoofer: 200 watts
- Installation: wall-mountable
- Warranty: free 60-day tech support
2. Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
- 5.1 digital surround sound: Hear every detail in your Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks the way the studio intended. Sub woofer: 165 Watts.Waterproof : No
- THX certified home theater speakers: Your assurance of true cinema quality sound. Satellites : 4 x 67 W, wall mountable
- Delivers a continuous 500 watts of power, with the ability to deliver a peak of 1,000 watts under certain circumstances: Provides rich audio and thunderous bass that let you truly hear and feel every detail
- Flexible setup: Connect upto six devices : Computer, music player, TV, game console and more; Infared remote
- Easy sound control: Compact control console and wireless remote let you instantly personalize your surround sound experience, Digital optical input: 2 (up to 1080p)
This small and inexpensive Logitech home theater system is surprisingly powerful, with a continuous 500-watt output through the five speakers and a peak output of up to 1,000 watts. Furthermore, with a peak power of up to 300 watts, the subwoofer delivers room-shaking bass when needed.
Users praised the low distortion of these THX-certified speakers and subwoofer at high volumes, noting that the sound quality did not degrade even at excessively loud levels. However, at the quiet end of the spectrum, the subwoofer’s bass can sound relatively flat.
All of the satellite speakers can be wall-mounted with an aftermarket kit or placed on shelves, though it should be noted that the receiver unit is not designed to be wall-mounted. The system’s overall footprint is quite small, making it suitable for both large and small rooms.
In addition, the receiver and center speaker can be stacked to save space. The speakers are wired rather than wireless, and some users complained that the wiring is a little flimsy. As a result, the lack of a warranty is a major concern with this speaker set.
- Type: 5.1 channel system
- Power Handling: 1000–500 watts
- Speakers: THX-certified home theater speakers
- Subwoofer: 165–300 watts
- Installation: wall-mountable
- Warranty: not specified
3. Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 Channel 800W Dolby Atmos Soundbar
- BF STARTS NOW! LOWEST PRICE EVER. Sale price $949. For purchases made at regular price ($1299) in the last 30 days, email Nakamichi directly on Amazon or [email protected] for price adjustment. Do not contact Amazon customer Support as they cannot do price adjustments. MEET THE REINVENTION OF #1 RATED DOLBY ATMOS SOUNDBAR. Get ready for an EMOTION-STIMULATING AUDIO EXPERIENCE like never before with UPGRADED Dual Wireless Subs and Two Surround Speakers (2nd Gen).
- SPATIAL SURROUND ELEVATION (SSE) MAX TECHNOLOGY: A state-of-the-art architecture combining new, upgraded custom-matched acoustic hardware and proprietary software to transform your movie, music and gaming content into the MOST IMMERSIVE 360° experience. With precisely-tuned high output amplifiers, extended range twin-cone drivers, silk dome surround effects tweeters and SSE audio processing engines, get the PERFECT CONVERGENCE OF POWER, PROCESSING AND PERFORMANCE to redefine your home theater.
- ELEVATED DUAL 8” WIRELESS SUBWOOFERS (INDUSTRY-EXCLUSIVE) unlock deep, pressurizing rumbles never felt before, featuring UPGRADED high output amplifiers (up to 450W) and subwoofer drivers that possess immense power, transforming your entire room into a sweet spot filled with MIGHTY, BALANCED LOWS AS DEEP AS 25HZ. You are in for a breathtaking ride. TWO subwoofers are a must for the ultimate home theater.
- 2ND GEN 2-WAY SURROUND SPEAKERS. A significant upgrade featuring ALL NEW extended range twin-cone drivers and silk dome tweeters, our surround speakers transport you into a large sound capsule filled with rich acoustic energy. Every surround effect is captured in its distinct position, something conventional soundbars cannot replicate. Each speaker connects to sub via RCA cable (included).
- FUTURE-PROOF CONNECTIVITY: HDMI eARC and 3 HDMI inputs (w Dolby Vision and 4K HDR pass-through) ensure the best transfer of audio and video possible. Enjoy NEW 24-BIT HIGH-RESOLUTION WIRELESS AUDIO STREAMING brought to you by aptX️ HD. Get up to 4x more wireless range with Bluetooth 5.0. Devices can also be connected via Optical, Coaxial or 3.5mm Aux-in. Experience seamless control even in the dark with our 2nd Gen remote, with large color-coded, backlit buttons.
The Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 Channel 800W Dolby Atmos Soundbar is ranked third on this list. It shouldn’t come as a surprise given its distinct approach to surround sound. The includes two subwoofers, two satellite speakers, and only one soundbar, completing an unusual setup.
The included soundbar performs the duties of the front left, center, and right channels as well as broad soundstage speakers for the right and left ambient effects in place of multiple satellite speakers.
The additionally comes with two wireless subwoofers and two rear two-way speakers, with the rear speakers being directly connected to the subwoofers.
Installation is quite straightforward, to put it plainly. The device also comes with a remote control, making use of it simpler. However, we would have like a somewhat longer range for the remote. For connecting, there is an optical input, three HDMI ports, and a coaxial input.
- Type: 7.2 channel system
- Power Handling: 800 watts
- Speakers: two rear surround speakers + soundbar
- Subwoofer: 370 watts for two units
- Installation: wall-mountable soundbar, floor-standing speakers
- Warranty: 1-year
4. Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System
- Bundle includes: Yamaha NS-F210 2-way bass-reflex floor standing speakers (4 included), Yamaha NS-C210 2-way center channel speaker, and Yamaha NS-SW100 10-inch subwoofer
- Speaker set designed to reproduce the full, dynamic sound of your movies, shows and games. Pair with a Yamaha receiver for the most realistic sound and advanced features
- NS-SW100 10” powered 100W subwoofer with twisted flare port and Advanced YST II for tight and powerful bass
- NS-C210 center channel speaker with dual 3 1/8” cone woofers and 7/8” balanced dome tweeter
- NS-F210 2-way floor-standing speakers with dual 3 1/8” cone woofers and 7/8” balanced dome tweeter. Detachable front grille.
This Yamaha speaker set offers great sound quality for the price for those on a tight budget, but keep in mind that installation is a significant amount of work and that you will need to add components to complete your theater system.
Because the speakers do not come with wires, you will need to buy speaker wires separately and connect the speakers to a central receiver, which is also sold separately. If you don’t already have one, take a look at our list of the best choice A/V receivers under 500.
Furthermore, while the speakers can stand alone on shelving, you will most likely need to purchase satellite speaker mounting kits. Having said that, the 100-watt power output of these speakers allows for a surprising amount of volume with relatively low distortion, and the 100-watt subwoofer delivers solid bass for the price.
However, users report that at high volumes, the bass can become muddy. Users praised the center speaker in particular, which is larger than most comparable speakers for the price and has enough volume to hear vocals over background polk audio from the satellite speakers.
- Type: 5.1 channel system
- Power Handling: 100 watts
- Speakers: two-way satellite speakers and a single two-way center-channel speaker
- Subwoofer: 100 watts
- Installation: wall-mountable
- Warranty: 1-year on parts and labor warranty
Polk T50 Audio Home Theater Stereo System (Complete Review)
Watch this: TOP 5 Best Home Theater Systems under $500
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING BEST HOME THEATER SYSTEM
Now that you’ve learned more about our five favorite home theater systems under 500, how do you choose between them to find the best home theater system for you?
Many home theater consumers, particularly in this price range, are first-time buyers, which can make understanding the technical specifications listed for each of these systems difficult.
WHY GET A HOME THEATER SYSTEM WITH A SURROUND SOUND?
If you’ve ever watched movies or played video games in your living room and felt let down by the viewing experience you get in a theater, a home theater system could be a good investment. In comparison to a movie theater, your home television may have excellent picture quality but a subpar polk audio system – after all, most television screens are not designed to provide optimal audio on their own.
A home theater system connects your television and other devices to a set of speakers, which can then be distributed throughout the room to create a surround sound experience.
Alternative Video: Best Home Speakers Under $500
FEATURES TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A HOME THEATER SYSTEM
When looking at home theater systems, one of the most important decisions to make is how many audio channels you want the system to have – which directly corresponds to how many speakers you can connect to it.
Home theater systems are typically rated as 5.1, which means they can connect five speakers and one subwoofer, or 7.1, which means they can connect seven speakers and one subwoofer.
2. Sound quality
The sound quality of the system is the next most important factor to consider when selecting a theater system. Sound quality is difficult to quantify because it is determined by the combination of speakers, subwoofer, and total power output of the theater system.
Speakers and subwoofers can be compared in terms of power output, and many theaters are rated based on the total amount of power distributed among the included speakers.
Even under 500, a home theater system is a significant investment – so you want to be sure that it will serve you for years to come.
Unfortunately, warranties on theater systems are relatively short or nonexistent, and some manufacturers – like Energy – offer limited free technical support rather than a true warranty. While no warranty stands out on home theater systems under $500, note that having any warranty period at all is typically better for peace of mind than having no warranty.
Home theater systems also vary greatly in terms of how simple or difficult they are to install in your home. Although this is dependent on the devices you want to connect to your home theater system, make sure to check what types of connection ports the polk audio receiver has and whether they are compatible with the outputs on your television, gaming consoles, and other devices.
The ability to connect devices via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi is one of the most important extra features that some home theater systems provide. This can make connecting new devices to the theater system much faster and easier, and it eliminates the need for a jumble of cables.
The Energy 5.1 Take Classic Theater System, the Logitech Z906 5.1 surround sound speakers System, and the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 Channel 800W Dolby Atmos Soundbar were our top picks for under $500 theater systems.
Only the Logitech system comes with a receiver, and all three systems will almost certainly require speaker mounting kits, so plan on making additional investments in addition to the cost of the speaker systems. Having said that, all three systems provide excellent sound quality for the price.
FAQs About The Best Home Theater Stereo System
Is a Bose system worth it?
Bose speakers are highly regarded for their surround sound speakers quality, bass and clarity. Home theater systems from Bose can be worth the investment due to their superior sound quality, but only certain products may be suitable for home use. The Bose Lifestyle 650 is an example of a system that offers features and functionality at an affordable price point.
What is the best sound system?
The best sound system for 2023 depends on the individual’s needs and preferences. For theater systems, some of the top contenders include Sony HTA9 Theater System, Monoprice SB-600, LG S95QR, Sonos Beam (Gen 2) System, Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar, Dali Oberon 5 5.1 Speaker Package, Sonos Arc, Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Home Cinema Pack and Rockville HTS56. Wireless surround sound systems such as JBL Bar 9.1 and Klipsch Reference are also highly recommended by ZDNet.
What is better Klipsch or Bose?
Klipsch speakers are generally louder and have a fuller sound than Bose, but the Bose Smart Soundbar 700 has a wider soundstage and better stereo frequency response. Klipsch also offers more accurate and crisp surround sound speakers at lower costs than Bose. However, opinions on which brand is better vary among users.
When it comes to our homes, one of the most important things is the safety and security of our belongings. Whether you own your home or you're renting, personal property insurance can provide you...
There's no denying that renting a place comes with its advantages - no mortgage, no property taxes, and flexibility to move around when needed. However, one aspect that often gets overlooked is the...