We’ve all been there: we’ve lost or damaged our daily headsets and are looking for a way to enjoy our gameplay while also zoning out. Fortunately, we all have a pair of Apple headphones somewhere in the house. You’re probably wondering if it’ll work with your PS4.
For audio, Apple headphones work on the PS4. However, the microphone is inoperable. The reason for this is that Apple uses a CTIA standard headphone jack connector, whereas the PS4 controller only supports OMTPstandard connectors.
Let’s take a look at this in more detail, as well as a hack to get your Apple headphones microphone to work on your PS4, as well as other alternative options for speaking without needing a microphone. Let’s dive in!
DO APPLE HEADPHONES WORK ON PS4?
Apple headphones work on PS4 for audio-only, meaning you will not be able to utilize your Apple headphones microphone.
This is due to the fact that Apple headphones use a proprietary CTIA standard audio jack, which is compatible with PS4 controllers because they have an OMTP standard audio jack, implying that your Apple headphones will not match their proper connectors once plugged into the Audio jack.
Because the connector placements do not match, plugging in your Apple headphones completely will render your microphone inoperable.
However, there is a workaround for this by plugging your headphones in and out three times simultaneously, but not all the way in. This will allow the microphone to fit into the correct connector and provide you with a working microphone!
TRS VS TRRS: A REASON PS4 AND IPHONE HEADPHONES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE
TRRS stands for “Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve,” and it is the standard connector for iPhone headphones. The “tip” represents the audio signal, the “ring” represents the right channel, the second “ring” represents the left channel, and the “sleeve” represents the ground.
The number of rings is the primary distinction between TRS and TRRS. TRRS has three rings, whereas TRS has two. This is why iPhone headphones aren’t compatible with the PS4. The PS4 lacks the third ring to complete the circuit.
HOW TO CONNECT IPHONE HEADPHONES TO PS4?
There are a few ways to work around this issue. The simplest method is to use an adapter. There are several types of adapters available, but I’ll recommend a few that I believe are the best. The TRRS to TRS adapter is the first.
On one end of this adapter, there is a TRRS jack and on the other, a TRS jack. You can use your iPhone headphones with any device that has a TRS headphone jack.
The TRRS to Dual Mono Adapter is the second adapter. On one end, there is a TRRS jack, and on the other, there are two TRS jacks. You can use your iPhone headphones with any device that has two TRS headphone jacks.
The TRRS to XLR Adapter is the third adapter. On one end, this adapter has a TRRS jack and on the other, an XLR jack.
It allows you to connect your iPhone headphones to any device that has an XLR headphone jack. You’ll need an adapter with a TRRS jack on one end and an XLR jack on the other if you want to use your iPhone headphones as a microphone on the PS4.
Alternative Video: Do Apple Headphones Work As Mic On PS4?
HOW CAN YOU CONNECT ANY WIRELESS HEADSET TO PS4?
- There are several methods for connecting wireless headphones to your PS4.
- To begin, make sure your headphones are charged using the USB cable.
- Now, connect your headphone’s USB adapter to your PS4’s USB port.
- Turn on your headphones and select pairing mode.
- When the blue light stops flashing and becomes solid blue, your headphone is connected and ready to play audio.
You may also have Bluetooth headphones from a different brand that you use on a regular basis. Fortunately, most Bluetooth headphones are also compatible with the PS4.
If you are unable to connect them to the PS4 by following the instructions above, I have another option for you. But your headphones need to be compatible with your mobile phone in that case. So, look here to know the details.
- Can Drivers Wear Headphones? (Answered!)
- Do Wired Headphones Emit Radiation? (Quick Answer!)
- Can Wearing Headphones Cause Hair Loss? Read Here
HOW TO CONNECT YOUR HEADPHONE TO PS4 THROUGH A MOBILE PHONE?
You can use your mobile phone to connect your headphones to your PS4 by using the PS4 Remote Play App. This app allows you to connect your PS4 to your devices via a Wi-Fi connection.
You can use the on-screen controller to play games on your phone. Your phone will display while also participating in chats via the phone’s microphone.
- First, get the PS4 Remote Play App and install it.
- Now, from the settings menu on your PS4, activate the Remote Play feature and select “Remote Play connection Setting.”
- Then click “Add Device” and enter the following code.
- You will be given an 8-digit code.
- To register your device, launch the PS4 Remote Play App and enter the code.
- It is now safe to connect your regular Bluetooth headphones to the PS4.
Assume you don’t have any wireless headphones but do have some wired ones. Still, if you want to use it with your PS4, then what can you do? You can do this.
Because most wired headphones come with a 3.5mm audio jack, which can work on the PS4. So know the exact way for connecting the wired headphones to your PS4.
HOW TO DISPLAY PS4 VOLUME TO YOUR WIRED HEADPHONES?
If you are unable to hear audio output from your Apple headphones after plugging them into your PS4, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices.
- Connect your headphones to the controller.
- Select Output Device -> Controller-Connected Headset.
- Adjust the microphone level in the Audio Devices Pade by clicking on Adjust microphone Level.
- Go to the Audio Devices tab -> Output to headphones -> All Audio to output all audio to your headphones.
HOW TO TALK WITHOUT A MIC ON PS4?
If you don’t own a microphone, then your best option is to install the Remote Play app on your phone; this will allow you to use your phone as a microphone, and it’s completely free.
- App for Remote Play
- Install the “PS4 Remote Play” App from the App Store or Google Play Store on your phone.
- Go to Settings -> Remote Play Connection Settings -> Add Device on your PS4.
- You will now be given a code to connect your device to your PS4.
- However, you must first connect your PS4 controller to your phone.
- Disconnect your PS4’s controller.
- Put your PS4 controller in pairing mode by pressing and holding down the PS4 and Share buttons at the same time until your controller’s LED starts blinking.
- Navigate to the Settings tab on your phone and look for your device’s Bluetooth list.
- Pair your PS4 controller with your device by clicking on it.
- When your device is paired, the LED on your controller will turn solid.
- Now, open the Remote Play app on your phone and sign in with the same credentials you used to access your PS4.
- Select Manually Register and enter the code displayed on your TV screen.
- Click Settings in the bottom right corner of the remote play app on your phone.
- Turn on the microphone.
That’s it! You can now use your phone as a microphone during your gaming adventures!
CONNECTING WIRELESS HEADPHONES TO YOUR PS4
If you have a pair of Wireless Bluetooth headphones lying around, you will be able to use them with microphone capabilities by purchasing a Bluetooth adapter that comes with a mic dongle.
Here’s how this works:
- Connect your Bluetooth adapter to your PS4’s USB port.
- Switch your headphones to pairing mode.
- When both devices are in pairing mode, they will automatically pair.
- Connect your microphone dongle to the 3.5mm audio jack on your PS4 controller.
- On your PS4’s home screen, go to Settings -> Devices -> Output Devices -> Select your USB Headset.
- Select All Audio from the Output Headphones menu.
That’s all! You should now be able to listen to your gameplay using Bluetooth headphones and have full control over your microphone thanks to the mic dongle included with your Bluetooth adapter.
CAN YOU USE REGULAR HEADPHONES ON PS4?
Yes! You can certainly use standard headphones with the PS4. The PS4 adheres to the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) standard for headphone jacks, which is the newer, more widely used layout.
This means that while most headphones should work fine, others may require some modification or even third-party devices.
How to Connect a PlayStation Wireless Headset to a PlayStation 4
This section is for officially compatible headsets designed primarily for the PlayStation 4. Please check the list of compatible headsets on PlayStation to see if your headphone model is listed.
- Charge the headset using the USB cable that came with it or the one that came with your PS4 system.
- Insert the USB adapter from your headset into the USB port on your PS4 or console.
- Turn on your headphones and enter pairing mode. When the blue light stops flashing and turns solid blue, your headphones should be properly connected.
- Also, play audio.
Continue with the steps below if you’re having trouble connecting your headphones and still don’t hear any audio from them after following the steps above.
Using the controller, go to Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Devices.
- On the Devices page, you’ll find a list of all the devices that can be connected to your PS4. Bluetooth Devices should be selected.
- Check that your headset is still in pairing mode (blue light flashing) and wait for your PS4 to search for nearby Bluetooth devices.
- When your headphones appear in the list of Bluetooth devices, select them and wait a few seconds for them to connect.
- To complete the connection, you may be asked to register your device. Simply enter the required information and you’re ready to go!
HOW TO CONNECT NON-COMPATIBLE WIRED HEADPHONES TO PS4?
It’s important to note that most smartphone headsets follow one of two common arrangements or standards. The Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) standard, also known as the American Headset Jack (AHJ) standard, and the Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP) standard are the two standards.
The CTIA and OMTP standards differ in that the former has the microphone connector point at the bottom of the jack and the ground connector on the second ring, whereas the latter has these positions reversed.
As a result of compatibility issues, connecting a CTIA headset to an OMTP port and vice versa will result in too quiet audio. Because newer smartphones and your PS4 use the CTIA standard, you’ll need to use an OMTP to CTIA converter/adapter if you want to use OMTP standard headphones.
- Refer to the “How to Connect Compatible Wired Headphones to PS4” section for instructions.
- Connect your headphones to the OMTP to CTIA converter before plugging it into your PS4 controller in step 4.
- Continue with the remaining steps.
HOW TO SELECT THE BEST HEADPHONES FOR PS4?
- First, ensure that the PS4 model in question is compatible with it. Check that the headphones are compatible with the PS4.
- Second, look for comfortable headphones. Because you play for an extended period of time, you should choose a pair of headphones that are comfortable to wear for an extended period of time.
- Third, make certain that the headphones provide an accurate omnidirectional hearing. In some games, it can give you an advantage. You can use this to determine the direction of specific sounds, such as footsteps.
- Finally, you must need a proper microphone. If you want to fully enjoy the gaming experience, a good microphone is essential. It is also needed for the chatting properties of the PS4.
WHY DO MY APPLE HEADPHONES NOT WORK ON PS4?
There are several reasons why your Apple headphones may not work with the PS4. One possibility is that the headphones are incompatible with the Bluetooth protocol used by the PS4. Another possibility is that the headphones themselves have a hardware problem.
Finally, it’s possible that there’s a problem with the PS4’s audio settings. If you are unsure how to troubleshoot the problem, you can consult Sony’s support website or contact customer service.
So, you now know how to get Apple Headphones to work on a PS4. We attempted to cover every method and instruction for using your Apple AirPods on the PS4. Aside from that, you learned how to use wired, wireless, and mobile phone connections on a PS4.
We’ve also included tips on what to look for when purchasing headphones for your PS4. I hope you can now use or connect your Apple AirPods or any wireless or wired headphones to your PS4 properly.
FAQs About Apple Headphones Connecting To PS4
Can you connect iPhone headphones to PS4?
Wireless headphones are ideal for gaming, and Apple Airpods are an excellent pair. Unfortunately, the PlayStation 4 does not support Apple AirPods natively. Because the PS4 is a Sony product, they only allow Sony headphones to be used directly with the PS4. You do enjoy gaming!
Can AirPods connect to a PS4?
Because the PS4 does not support Bluetooth audio or headphones by default, you will be unable to connect AirPods (or other Bluetooth headphones) without additional accessories. Even if you use AirPods with your PS4, you won’t be able to do things like chat with other players.
Why are my Apple earphones not working on PS4?
Because the iPhone has a different jack standard, iPhone headphones/earbuds do not work on the PS4. Other headphone companies manufacture headphone jacks to a single standard, but Apple does not. That is why iPhone headphones are incompatible with the PS4.
Do Apple earphones work with the PS5?
If you have a pair of earbuds with a microphone designed for an older Apple product, you can now use them for voice chat by plugging them into a PlayStation 5 controller.
Do Apple earbuds work with PS5?
What You Need to Connect AirPods to PS5. It may seem hard to believe since the PS5 is the latest and greatest video game console, but it doesn’t support Bluetooth audio when you first buy it. That means that you can’t use any Bluetooth headphones—including AirPods—with the PlayStation 5 without purchasing an accessory.
How to Use Earbuds for Phone Calls? When you use earbuds for phone calls, you free up your hands for more important tasks that demand your attention. For example,...
The best earbuds for Riding Motorcycle is you're wearing a massive weight in your ears, which can make listening to music for extended periods of time quite uncomfortable. This is why the Anker...