What are the Best Entry Level Home Theater Systems? Anyone who wants to watch movies at home knows they need two things: a television and either a media console (such as a Blu-Ray player) or a streaming device (like a Roku stick).
Of course, you could get around this with a Smart TV, but you get the idea. However, if you’re a true cinephile, you’ll recognize that audio is only half of the experience.
While many TVs come with built-in speakers or you can get a soundbar for a reasonable price, a true home theater requires the booming bass and crisp mids of a surround sound system.
But what should you do if you aren’t an expert on cinematic audio gear? To get started, you can buy an all-in-one theater-in-a-box system. On the following list of entry-level home theater systems, we’ve gathered the ten best.
WHAT IS A HOME-THEATER-IN-A-BOX?
All complete “theater-in-a-box” systems include two distinct components: a set of speakers and a receiver. The purpose of the speakers — which will vary in quantity, size, and type — is fairly obvious: they are the devices through which the sound is projected.
A surround sound system will typically include a combination of high- and mid-range speaker units, as well as at least one subwoofer for bass, though this can vary depending on the brand, technology, and overall price of the system.
These devices work together to produce a wide range of cinema-style audio. However, without a receiver, they are practically useless.
9 Best Entry Level Home Theater Systems
1. PIONEER 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM
- New replacement IR remote control,only support Pioneer A/V AV Receiver
- No batteries and instructions included
- No programming needed
- 90 days warranty
You don’t need deep pockets to get a home-theater-in-a-box with all the bells and whistles we’ve come to expect from modern technology — this Pioneer home theater system has them all.
This system comes with a receiver that can handle Ultra HD, HDR, 3D movies and video games, as well as Dolby-tuned audio and video for high-resolution sounds and images no matter what you’re watching, listening to, or playing. To top it all off, it has Bluetooth compatibility for wireless control. That isn’t even the end of what this system has to offer.
2. YAMAHA 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM
- 5.1 channel powerful surround sound
- Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Rated Output Power (20Hz 20kHz, 2ch driven) 70W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD); Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (Jeita) 145W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4 in/1 out)
- 4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby vision, hybrid log gamma and BT.2020
- YPAO auto calibration technology for ideal sound, Exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology supports playback of HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc.), providing natural and expansive sound imaging
In terms of price and features, this Yamaha system is comparable to the previous Pioneer option, but it lacks one major feature that the Pioneer system does: YPAO optimization. YPAO is a system that automatically reads the space where you’ve placed your speakers and optimizes them for that space.
That means you can get the best sound for the room of your choice with just a simple plug-and-play system. And if you ever move or switch rooms, it’s just as simple to re-optimize.
Combine that with a full suite of surround sound speakers, 4K Ultra HD support, and Bluetooth compatibility with a compressed music enhancer, and you have one of the best bang-for-your-buck systems available.
3. POLK AUDIO BLACKSTONE & DENON 5.1 HOME THEATER PACKAGE
- Compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant voice control
- MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR NEW 4K ULTRA HD TV; This stereo receiver delivers exceptional brightness, contrast and color leveraging industry leading HLG (hybrid Log Gamma), HDR (High Dynamic Range), BT.2020, Wide Color Gamut and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub sampling to impress even the most discerning viewers; Experience 5 AMPLIEFIERS (140W per channel) driving amazing power, realistic display and immersive sound across any room
- YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC AT YOUR FINGERTIPS With a built in Bluetooth, amp up your music from 8 different devices, be it a computer or any other smart device and transmit it to a wide range of speaker systems; CREATE AN INTEGRATED AUDIO SYSTEM in conjunction with DENON HEOS LINK for a thrilling multi room experience, which also allows you to play back music from almost every digital streaming service like Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora and many more
- OUR EASY ON SCREEN SETUP ASSISTANT walks you through clear simple instructions to connect your TV, specific EQ settings and helps you optimize your surround sound
- FOUR QUICK SELECT BUTTONS ON THE FRONT PANEL help you store your preferred audio settings for television, Blu Ray, and more, and allows you to switch between them quickly
Polk Audio, which was founded in 1972, has been a trusted name in audio systems for nearly as long as they’ve been in business. While other low-cost options may come from relatively trustworthy brands with a wide range of product types, Polk has remained almost entirely focused on audio products, such as home theater systems.
That is, they are specially designed to provide excellent sound in a theater-in-a-box system. Take, for example, the Blackstone & Denon system shown here. This home theater system provides booming cinematic sound without being gaudy or cumbersome, thanks to a suite of compact, out-of-the-way speakers.
4. ENCLAVE AUDIO CINEHOME HD 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM
- HD 5.1 WIRELESS HOME THEATER BUNDLE – Premium HD surround sound system for TV Includes the THX certified home theater system that provides you with world class, movie theater quality sound. Easily control with your TV remote!
- PLUG AND PLAY SIMPLICITY – Using your TV's ARC or Optical connection, the Enclave home theater surround sound system could not be easier to set up. Simply plug into your TV and get ready for the CineHome Pro to deliver crisp, clear and room filling THX Certified 5.1 HD surround sound
- CONNECTS WIRELESSLY – Simply plug in each speaker to the wall along with the Enclave CineHub, it will pair seamlessly with your speakers so you can place them anywhere in your living room. Experience mind blowing 360 degree wireless sound like you’re sitting in a movie theater
- 11 POWERFUL 24-BIT CLASS-D AMPS – Powered by 14 custom-designed drivers and a 10-inch subwoofer to transform your living room into a true surround sound cinematic experience no sound bar can match. THX Certified, 24 Bit Dolby Digital, DTS, and WiSA Certified
- 3.5mm ANALOG, BLUETOOTH INPUT – Don't let that vinyl go unheard! With a 3.5mm analog your turntable can be connected with ease. Stream all your music? We've got you covered with Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity for simple use with any mobile device or tablet
Whereas most traditional home theater audio systems require a receiver to serve as a central hub, a few new brands are emerging that have recognized the potential in smart technology to replace that outmoded format. Enclave is one such company, as their CineHome HD system does not use a traditional receiver.
Rather, the Smart Center (a stand-alone device) replaces it entirely as a two-in-one receiver hub and wireless speaker. It is accompanied by four smaller speakers and a subwoofer for powerful bass.
5. ONKYO 5.1.2 DOLBY ATMOS HOME THEATER PACKAGE
- 220 watts per Channel
- Supports 4K/60p and HDR (HDR10, hlg, Dolby vision, BT.2020)
- 5.2.2-Ch Dolby Atmos and DTS: x playback
- Dolby Atmos height virtualize* and DTS virtual: x
- Accueq with subwoofer EQ and accureflex
Unless you’re intimately familiar with home audio equipment, you’ve probably never heard of Onkyo. But we’ll be the first to tell you: they have an exceptional grasp on the aforementioned technological gear category.
Their Dolby Atmos-ready Home Theater Package is an exceptional home-theater-in-a-box that even the most enigmatic audiophiles and film buffs can appreciate. It is a simple-to-use system with a plethora of built-in features.
Among these features are eight built-in HDMI ports for all of your peripherals, Bluetooth compatibility, and a diverse set of built-in technologies ranging from Chromecast to Spotify and more. If you want a top-of-the-line system at a mid-range price, look no further.
6. SONOS 5.1 BEAM HOME THEATER SYSTEM
The Sonos Beam Home Theater System, the second setup on our list that eliminates the need for a receiver entirely, is one of the most streamlined smart home-theaters-in-a-box on the market today. That’s because their system is based on their Beam soundbar, a smart device that supports Bluetooth, Alexa, and AirPlay 2 and looks as good as it performs.
Even better, it’s simple to connect to your television and expand your surround sound setup with additional speakers. Whether you want a simple home theater audio setup or a multi-room speaker system, this kit is the best place to start when user-friendliness and ease-of-use are your top priorities.
7. SONY 7.2 HOME THEATER SYSTEM
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony 7.2-Channel 4K HDR A/V Receiver, Two SSCS3 Stereo Floor-Standing Speakers, SSCSE Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers, 10-Inch Active Subwoofer, SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System, and SSCS8 2-Way 3-Driver Center Channel Speaker
- SMARTER BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: Not only can you connect to the STR-DH790 through Bluetooth and play all your favorite tracks, but with Bluetooth Standby, you can turn your receiver on straight from your paired smartphone or tablet
- GET CONNECTED: Just plug in and press play. With four HDMI inputs and one output, optical/coaxial digital and analog audio connections, you can connect your UHD Blu-ray Disc player, TV and games console easily
- HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO: Enjoy the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound in higher than CD quality with High-Resolution Audio. Passion for music unites every component from signal to speaker so it feels like the artist is performing right in front of you
Sony has been producing consumer electronics for a long time, including audio systems for music, movies, and video games. And, because they have such a diverse range of products, it’s in their best interests to release home theater systems that work well with their other products, such as the industry-leading PlayStation 4 console.
This system is one of the most comprehensive on our list, with nine individual units ranging from a booming subwoofer to a Dolby Atmos-equipped receiver that will make you feel like you’re in a full-sized IMAX theater inside your own home. It also supports 4K video, HDR, and other features. It’s a complicated setup, but anyone who hears it will be impressed.
8. FOCAL SIB EVO & YAMAHA 5.1.2 HOME CINEMA SYSTEM
- Sib Evo is composed of a 5? Polyflex speaker driver and a ¾? silk dome tweeter integrated into a sizeable enclosure in order to give it extended frequency response
- The Dolby Atmos loudspeaker is equipped with an additional 4? full-range Polyflex speaker driver on top dedicated to the Atmos effects
- The Cub Evo subwoofer recalls the same design codes as our Hi-Fi subwoofers in a ‘‘lifestyle” product
- quipped with an 8’’ speaker driver and a 200W Class D amplifier it’s characterised by its MDF structure and its Matt Black finish
If you want a setup that provides exceptional sound as well as unique and stylish device designs, the Focal Sib Evo kit shown here might be a good place to start. With five wide-range speakers and a very powerful subwoofer, this home theater system delivers cinematic sound in a more subtle package than many of the other options on the market.
It also includes one of the industry’s most trusted receivers, a Yamaha RX-A780, to ensure proper operation. That means it has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Spotify built-in (along with a number of other audio streaming services), 4K and HDR support, and so much more.
9. KLIPSCH & YAMAHA 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM
- Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System (Renewed)
- Package Weight, 17.735 kilograms
- Package Dimensions, 45.796 L x 56.997 H x 49.199 W (centimeters)
Besides designing and manufacturing absolutely stunning and iconic audio equipment, Klipsh is one of our favorite audio brands for their unimpeachable dedication to making all of their gear sound as good as possible at any volume. As you might guess, their Home Theater System you see here is definitely no exception to that rule.
This cinematic system comes with a reliable, top-of-the-line Yamaha RX-A760 receiver, as well as dual tower speakers, surround speakers, a center channel speaker, and a massive subwoofer.
It’s a bit more cumbersome than some other options, and thus better suited to a home than, say, an apartment. Of course, if you’re a total audiophile, they also offer even more comprehensive setups. When it comes to home theater systems, you simply cannot go wrong with Klipsch.
Alternative Video: Best Home Theatre Systems
CONCLUSION on the Best Entry Level Home Theater Systems
The only thing better than going on a date to the movies is being able to enjoy the same high-quality cinema experience from the comfort of your own home.
You can save money on expensive popcorn and avoid distracting background noise while still enjoying the incredible immersive audio that immerses you in your favorite films. Because there are so many options on the market, we’ve narrowed it down to the best quality mid-range home theater speakers.
FAQs About Entry-Level Home Theater Systems
Is 5.1 or 7.1 surround better?
A 7.1 system is ideal for larger rooms where sound can become lost in the space. It offers a more immersive surround sound listening experience. Theater quality media designed for a 7.1 system will be heard more clearly than on a 5.1 system.
What does 5.1 mean in terms of surround sound?
Surround sound audio systems are commonly referred to as 5.1 surround sound (“five-point one”). In home theaters, the most common layout is 5.1. It makes use of five full-bandwidth channels as well as one low-frequency effects channel.
How many watts of home theater do I need?
The higher the wattage power under the hood, the better your theater will sound. And, strange as it may seem, a high-power theater appears louder at lower volumes. Without fear of running out of power, 125 watts per channel is the ideal amount to have.
How to Use Earbuds for Phone Calls? When you use earbuds for phone calls, you free up your hands for more important tasks that demand your attention. For example,...
The best earbuds for Riding Motorcycle is you're wearing a massive weight in your ears, which can make listening to music for extended periods of time quite uncomfortable. This is why the Anker...