Top 3 Best Headphones for Mowing
|Best Overall||Best Overall||3M WorkTunes Connect||
||Check Today’s Price|
||Check Today’s Price|
|Best Cable||Best ANC||Apple Airpods Pro||
||Check Today’s Price|
5+ Best Headphones for Mowing the Lawn in 2021
1. 3M WorkTunes Connect + Gel Cushion – Best Overall
- Discrete design
- 30+ hours battery life
- Gel Ear Cushions offer longer comfort
- 23dB noise reduction rating
- Poor calling performance
- No additional feature upgrade compared to original Connect headphones
Bottom Line“The 3M WorkTunes Connect are the most popular hearing protector headphones to make it durable. Add in the gel cushions, and the headphones become the most comfortable as well. It retains all the features in the original Connect headphone; hence the ~$100 price tag seems a little too much.”
2. ISOTunes Free– Best Light WeightCompared to the 3M WorkTunes connectivity mentioned above, there’s a night and day difference in size between the 3M WorkTunes connectivity and iTunes Free. The 3M WorkTunes Connect weighs a whopping 14 ounces, whereas the ISOTunes Free is incredibly lightweight at 0.3 ounces. The ISOTunes Free comes with a carrying/charging case just like the Apple Airpods. Hence, once you’re done using it, you can safely store them in the case, and the earbuds will get charged. In terms of performance, these earbuds are OSHA-complaint and meet the 85dBA limit requirements. To offer excellent passive noises canceling, the ISOTunes Free uses heat-activated eartips made using memory foam. The memory foam eartips expand in your ear canals, thereby offering a good amount of access noise isolation. The ISOTunes Free has a 22 dB Noise Reduction Rating and is an excellent rating for such a tiny-size hearing protector. During initial use, the foam eartips might bother your ear canals if you’ve always used silicone eartips before. It will take a few days for your ears to get used to the memory foam sensation. For the first few days, you’ll always notice there’s something stuck in your ears compared to the comfortable and non-intrusive feeling of silicone eartips. The package also comes with double-flanged eartips; however, they don’t do a reliable job in noise isolation compared to memory foam eartips. You get a total of 21 hours of battery life on a full charge. The earbuds hold up to 7 hours of battery life, whereas the charging case offers additional 14 hours. Additionally, these earbuds are IP45 rated and ideal for warehouse and garden usage. Design-wise, the ISOTunes Free sport a fluorescent green color. The bright color makes it easy-to-use and access the earbuds even if they fall onto the green grass. In comparison, the charging case has a complete matte-black finish with the ISOTunes logo in fluorescent green color.
- Pocketable design
- Very lightweight
- 22 dB NRR
- OSHO-complaint with 85dBA limit requirement
- Superior sound quality
- Foam eartips will take some time to get used to
- Slightly expensive
Bottom Line“The ISOTunes Free is an excellent replacement for full-size over-ear headphones. They are very lightweight at 4.5 grams each, and the entire setup can be easily carried in your pocket. You also get longer battery life, incredible audio performance, and a decent 22 dB NRR.” SUGGESTED POST: 10+ Best Headphones with Detachable Cable (Top Review)
3. Apple Airpods Pro– Best Active Noise Cancellation For MowingThe Apple Airpods Pro started the whole rage of Active Noise Cancelling in earbud-style headphones. And if you’ve always wanted to buy one, this is the right time. While the above-mentioned ISOTunes Free offers passive noise isolation due to its heat-activated memory foam eartips. In contrast, the Apple Airpods Pro provides active noise cancelation that offers better performance in canceling noise from your lawnmower. Moreover, the silicone eartips offer a proper seal which provides additional access noise-canceling as well. Unlike the original Apple Airpods, the silicone eartips in Apple Airpods Pro keep the earbuds snuggled in place. Hence, you don’t need to adjust it constantly. While mowing the lawn, the Airpods Pro’s active noise canceling technology cancels out most of the lawn mower’s engine noise. The earbuds have microphones inside them, which do the job of blocking and canceling outside noise that works in our favor during lawn mowing. On the design front, the Apple Airpods Pro comes in a white-colored charging case, and the earbuds themselves are entirely white. Each earbud weighs just 5.4 grams; hence you won’t notice you’re wearing them with regular use. The earbuds are IPX4 certified, which means they are water-resistant and sweatproof. Plus, the Bluetooth 5.0 technology consumes low charge and offers an overall longer battery life. On a full charge, the Apple Airpods Pro can last up to 24 hours in total. Each earbud can last up to 4.5 hours without the case, whereas the charging case offers an additional 19.5 hours of battery life.
- Superior Active Noise Cancelling performance
- ANC is much better in reducing mower noise than noise isolating earbuds
- 24 hours battery life
- Water-resistant and sweatproof
- It sits on the pricier side
- In case you accidentally turn on transparency mode during working, it can get extremely uncomfortable
Bottom Line“The Apple Airpods Pro is not targeted towards outdoor use and lawn mowing. However, the active noise canceling technology does a much better job than passive noise canceling in foam-based hearing protector earbuds. If budget is not a concern, do go with the Apple Airpods Pro.”
4. ISOTunes Pro 2.0– Best Hearing Protector Earbuds for Lawn MowingThe ISOTunes Pro 2.0 are wireless headphones earbuds with wrap around a neck design. This design style is ideal for people who want to take a break without storing the earbuds in a charging case or pocket. The wired design allows you to hang the earbuds from your neck, and you can wear or remove them conveniently. Along the wire, there’s a multi-functional buttons panel that hosts buttons like volume up, volume down, and power button. The MFB panel also contains the inline microphone along with a charging port. The entire in-ear headphone is ruggedly built, which emphasizes its outdoor usage. The earbuds and MFB panel have rubberized covering to improve durability. Subsequently, the charging port has a rubber flap to cover it from mud, dust, dirt, and sweat. The ISOTunes Pro 2.0 uses Bluetooth 5.0 technology; hence pairing with your smartphone is super quick. Moreover, the earbuds have a broader range of coverage and consume less power. These earbuds are rated to last up to 16 hours with a standby time of 270 hours on a full charge. For bluetooth wireless with wrap around a neck design, 16 hours of battery life is an excellent given. Hence, you don’t have to charge these earbuds frequently. Performance-wise, the ISOTunes Pro 2.0 offers a superb noise reduction rating of 27 dB. Plus, it is OSHA-complaint with a decibel limiter of up to 85 dBA to prevent ear damage. Once you start using these earbuds, they help block out lawnmower noise and do it with poise.
- Convenient design
- Long battery life
- Specifically meant for outdoor usage
- It comes with multiple eartips and carrying case
- 27 dB NRR
- The MFB panel makes one side slightly heavy
- The memory foam eartips take time to get used to
Bottom Line“The ISOTunes Pro 2.0 is a big upgrade over the original Pro. It offers a high NRR of 27 dB, which works much better than regular hearing protector earbuds. You get solid built quality, modern technology, and nothing much to complain about.”
5. Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700– Best ANC over-ear headphonesThe Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 is probably the holy grail of active noise-canceling headphones. It is the best ANC headphone you can buy in the market right now and comes at a premium price. It is priced under $400; however, you get exceptional noise isolation from the surrounding environment. If you want the best noise-canceling headphones money can buy, then this is it. Being an over-ear headphone, the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 are very lightweight. The headphones weigh 8.8 ounces; hence, you can wear them longer than the 3M WorkTunes Connect + mentioned above. The only reason the Bose headphones are at the last spot is because of its price. Although, if you’re a professional lawnmower and it’s your day job, investing in the best noise-canceling headphones will be a better option. Moreover, these headphones have an understated design. As a result, it won’t command unwanted attention, nor its design gives away the price unless from close inspection. The Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 does an excellent job of canceling most of the repetitive external noise. Thus, the lawnmower noise will almost be non-existent. The only downside is its battery life. With ANC on, the Bose 700 is rated to last up to 20 hours, which is a bit of a downer.
- Understated design
- The best ANC technology
- Incredible sound quality
- Great for calls while working
- Just 20 hours of battery life
- Extremely pricey
Bottom Line“While the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 isn’t envisioned to be used for lawn or garden work. Although, its superior noise-canceling capabilities can be used to our advantage. Hence, if you have the budget, please pick this one.”
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Headphones for Mowing the LawnNoise Reduction Rating: Noise Reduction Rating or NRR, as it’s popularly known, is a critical factor when determining the efficacy of hearing protection headphones. Most hearing protection headphones and earbuds have an NRR between 18-27 dB. This means the headphones can suppress up to 18-27 dB of external or ambient noise. For example, the ISOTunes Free earbuds and 3M WorkTunes Connect + headphones offer a similar 22 dB NRR with a massive difference between size and design. On the other hand, the ISOTunes Pro 2.0 offers a whopping 27 dB NRR, which is a lot more than many over-ear hearing protector headphones. Active Noise Cancelling: Currently, hearing protector headphones don’t come with active noise cancellation technology. However, consumer-grade active noise cancellation headphones can be used when mowing the lawn to cut out most of the engine noise from the lawnmower. Generally, good quality active noise-canceling headphones and earbuds are costlier due to the extra electronic equipment required for the technology. In terms of form factor, you get active noise-canceling technology in both over-ear headphones and earbuds-style designs. Thus, you get to choose between the form factors. In the above list, I’ve featured Apple Airpods Pro for earbuds-style ANC headphones and Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 for over-ear style ANC headphones. Price: Hearing protector headphones start from as cheap as $20. However, the basic ones offer poor sound quality and aren’t a good recommendation. Good quality hearing protector headphones start from $40 and come with features like bluetooth wireless, AM/FM, longer battery life, and more. You get the best-quality hearing protector headphones for less than $100. In contrast, top-quality Active Noise Cancelling headphones start from $150 and can roll off at $400 for the premium models. For the price, the ANC headphones offer better performance compared to regular hearing protector headphones with passive noise isolation.
ConclusionI hope this article was helpful in choosing the best headphones for mowing the lawn. If you’re still confused, I’d suggest going with our #1 pick, i.e., the 3M WorkTunes Connect + headphones. If the 3M Connect’s high weight is a problem, you should also look at the ISOTunes Free earbuds. You get almost the same amount of noise isolation, i.e., 22 dB NRR, but without the bulk. Moreover, suppose the budget isn’t a concern. In that case, the Apple Airpods Pro or the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 will be an ideal pick due to the Active Noise Cancellation technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you wear headphones while mowing?
Yes! And it is a recommended practice to wear some type of hearing protection during lawn mowing. The loud engine noise of the lawnmower can cause hearing damage in the long run.
Are Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones suitable for mowing?
Specifically, the active noise-canceling headphones from Bose like the Bose NCH 700 and Bose QuietComfort 35 are ideal for lawn mowing.
Is it safe to listen to music while mowing the lawn?
If you use regular earbuds or headphones to listen to music while mowing, it can be more dangerous. Regular earbuds don’t offer the same amount of noise isolation compared to hearing protection headphones. Hence, the lawnmower noise will enter your ear canal, coupled with extra noise from the audio you’re listening to.
Do you dread having to commute each day and working long hours at the office? Perhaps you'd prefer to spend more time with your family or would prefer the flexibility to work when and how you...
To put it simply, electrostatic headphones convert audio signals to sound waves, converting electrical energy into mechanical wave energy. The actual operation of the electrostatic headphones...