Apple Airpods are the best in the earpods segment and they look good too. Their top-notch quality and performance catch a lot of attention. To use the Airpods for listening to music or watching a movie is an experience in itself. But sometimes when they get connected, the microphone doesn’t work. So how do you fix this?
How to fix AirPods microphones if they are not working?
To fix your AirPods in case they are not working, you can follow the below troubleshooting steps
- Restarting the Airpods and connecting them
- Charging the AirPods
- Restarting your phone and check the Microphone settings
- Updating the Airpods firmware
- Updating the Bluetooth Driver
- Cleaning the Airpods thoroughly
- Replacing the Airpods
Let us now learn about the above methods in detail.
How to Restart the Airpods and connect them?
To restart your AirPods and connect them, you can do this
- Keep the AirPods in their case and close the lid for 30 seconds
- Open the lid. On the phone, go to Settings
- Go to Bluetooth and click on the i icon next to the AirPod name
- Tap on Forget this Device and confirm
- Keep the case lid open. Press the setup button at the back of the case
- Hold for 15 seconds until the light flashes amber and then turns white
Now connect the AirPods back to your device and check if the microphones are now working.
How to Charge the Airpods?
To charge your AirPods you have to ensure that the charging case is charged. To charge the case, plug a cable at the bottom of the case and charge it through a USB port or a power source. Once the case is charged, place your AirPods back into the case and the light will turn on, which is an indication that the AirPods are getting charged.
How to Restart the phone and check the Microphone settings?
If your AirPods microphone is not working try restarting your phone and checking the Microphone settings. To do so simply turn the phone off and after 30 seconds turn it back on.
- Now click on your phone’s settings
- Scroll down and click on Privacy settings
- Now tap on Microphone and a list of apps will appear
- Check if the AirPods microphone is turned off or on
- If they are off, then turn them on
Your AirPods microphone should now start working again and you can play an audio file to confirm the same.
How to update the AirPods firmware?
To update the AirPods firmware, you can go into the Bluetooth settings and check if there is an update for the firmware. Here are the detailed steps to do it.
- On your phone go to the settings menu and click on Bluetooth
- Here you will see the i icon next to your AirPods
- Click on the i icon and scroll down
- Go to the about section and see the version part
- Here you can see which version of AirPods firmware your phone is using
- If there is a new update available for the AirPods it will show here. Click on it to update your AirPods firmware
Your AirPods microphone should start working after the completion of the update. A restart of the AirPods could also be a good idea after any update.
How to update the Bluetooth driver to fix your AirPods microphone?
If you are using your AirPods with your Macbook and they are getting connected but their microphones are not working you can try updating the Bluetooth Driver. To update the driver manually click on Windows + R key to open the Run dialogue box. Now type devmgmt.msc and click ok. Now go back to your settings and open the Bluetooth menu.
- Once the Bluetooth menu has opened right-click on the Bluetooth adapter
- Select update driver option here
- A pop-up window will automatically open up
- Select Search automatically for drivers here and follow the instructions given by the driver if any
Once this is completed restart your laptop and check if the AirPods are now working fine.
How to Clean the AirPods?
To clean your AirPods you can use earbuds or a piece of clean dry cloth. Gently start rubbing the pods and remove the debris with the cloth. Ensure both the right and the left earbuds are cleaned thoroughly and free of any dust.
Lastly, if none of the above methods work then try and connect the AirPods to a different device to see if the problem belongs to the AirPods or the device. If it still acts the same then you may have to replace the AirPods and go for a new pair.
We hope you had fun reading the article and found it interesting and helpful. So the next time your AirPods mic stops working try out the methods we have listed and hopefully your issue will be resolved.